11.24.2010

i will not settle for mediocrity, day 1





"Your life is your own, to develop or to destroy. You can blame others little and yourself almost totally if that life is not a productive, worthy, full, and abundant one. Others can assist or hinder you, but the responsibility is yours and you can make it great, mediocre, or a failure." -Spencer w Kimball

one of the happiest summers of my life!

when i stumbled across this quote, it sparked something within me, and made me reevaluate my path in life, and whether or not i was okay with where it was going. literally a few days later one of my favorite people in the whole world, Richard, talked to me about doing this incredible program created by Anthony Robbins with a group of people. yesterday was my first day and let me tell you, i'm ready to make my life above and beyond great.

for now, my "love" posts will be postponed, and i will take you on my 9-day journey through "Get the Edge." the insights i'll be learning about myself and life in general might be beneficial to you as it has been to me. maybe not, but at least you'll get to see me make a fool of myself on here.

without further delay, here are my thoughts from day 1:

one of the main nuggets of wisdom i pulled from yesterday was that "my quality of life is the quality of consistent emotions i feel."

i thought a lot about that idea, and how if i feel that my day went well, then it went well. if i feel that my day went poorly, then i'll tell people i had a lousy day. my day quality = my emotions, and my emotions are easily controlled. sure, there are times where an emotion sneaks up on me and takes me by surprise but more often than not i either choose to sulk and savor the negative or empowering feeling, or i brush it aside and go with what i really want to. i'll either sit and stew about how i am feeling left out, or i'll move on and say "no big deal, brook." i learned that i can focus on things that are positive, and that in turn my life will be positive.

now, throughout my short 24 years of life, i've had times where i can remember just exuding, leading, and oozing joy and happiness. there have definitely been times on the other hand where i want to absorb everything that made me upset, and nothing can cheer me up because i don't want to be cheered up. i'll be the first to admit, i'm nowhere near i've been in the past and i've made a new commitment to JUMP out of bed in the morning no matter what. i've re-committed to not focus on poisonous emotions that in turn show in my countenance and radiate (however poorly) onto others.

i take my life where i know it can go--beyond mediocre, and i wont blame it on anyone else.

cheesy? probably. awesome? yes.

2 comments:

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

Awesome indeed! I read a self help book this Summer called "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" and it was really great. Not he best piece of literary work, but great advice was contained within.

Viviana said...

I like this post. It made me remember some of the teachings I heard growing up. One of those teachings was from MJ Ashton. He was wise... "Concern yourself with life’s number one priority: being a quality person. If you are a quality person, you don’t have to worry about being a good wife, mother, daughter, leader..., or single. If you are a quality person, you will be good in any situation in which you find yourself.”
"A quality life is God’s greatest wish for us. Life is to be lived well in whatever circumstances we find ourselves. There should not be a waiting period."