9.17.2010

adversity

my adversity doesn't define me.

we all go through things, and it doesn't matter the specifics, because whatever it is, it's hard to us. it may be lack of health, money, love, comfort, clothes, or whatever. either way, it's difficult to us, and that's all that matters.

the real thing that we have to learn is this: no matter what our adversity may be, it doesn't make us who we are. it makes us into who we are supposed to become, by the way we react to it.


...and somehow it all becomes okay when i think about
1. who i will become through all of this
2. who i can potentially help and comfort in the future because of all of this
3. what i can learn from this so i can hopefully avoid it, or react better in the future
4. all of the things i've been blessed with

suddenly what seemed like a sunset becomes a sunrise
(picture from puerto plata, dominican republic)

2 comments:

Viviana said...

I love your 3rd point. I need to learn how to better react in the future. I have never understood why some of this experiences seem to keep happening to me, but now I understand that it is not the experiences but my attitude that continues to be the same without change or progress. Once again you have brought new light to my life.

David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

Brooklyn,
You're blog posts do much more than entertain- the inspire. Thanks for making me feel better.
Love, David